RECIPE: My First Apple Pie

I'm contemplating if I will create another blog dedicated to my cooking adventures.  I'm not sure how I can keep all of it though. So before I jump to another blog, let me tell you what happened to my first apple pie.  I saw some cheap small apples 2 weeks ago and thought this might be a good opportunity to try apple pie...the apple pie that I've been longing to eat after I watched the pastry princess of Masterchef US Whitney made her traditional apple pie.  I'm always intimidated with baking maybe because I don't get to do so much baking for some reasons, ingredients are expensive and hard to find not to mention that you have to be accurate with the measurements...it's just not me, the "tantsa tantsa" mom.  Thanks to Homecooking Rocks, Connie made it simple for me to follow.
I first made the dough, 2 cups of all purpose flour and 1/2 cup of butter.  Well, actually not exactly 1/2 cup I just divide my butter into half and cut it into small pieces so it's easier to mash with the flour.  I added 2 tbsp. of sugar and 1 tsp of salt.  Of course, my li'l man is my helper though he can't stand to see my hands covered with flour, so he asked for his spoon and told me to wash my hands. 

Little by little I put iced cold water (maybe 1 spoonful at a time) until it stick together to be molded and divided into 2 balls,then I put it in the fridge for 30 min.
While waiting for the dough, I made the apple filling.  I peeled 7 pcs. of apple and cut into smaller pieces. After preparing the filling,I brought out the 2 balls of dough.  Since I dont' have yet a rolling pin I used a long body plastic tumbler and started to spread out the dough to my plastic wrap (alternative for wax paper). Once it has been molded, I put it in the round baking pan. Then I placed it in the oven for an hour to make sure it's cooked.  I then put my apple mixture of ground cinnamon, (it might taste better with ground nutmeg but I can't find one from the supermarket) then cover it with the 2nd dough. 

And for finale, brush the top with a beaten egg...don't forget to prick with fork to let the steam come out. I'm still not happy with the outcome, at least my boys liked it.  I will try this recipe again till it's perfect.

No comments: