RECIPE: Pork Estofado

This recipe is a long wait.  I always have this notion that Estofado is a difficult recipe as I only eat it during reunions or fiesta during my childhood.  So, i thought that this recipe is a special recipe that needs much time and attention.  Then I tried it with the assistance from my grandmom-in-law.  I tasted the best Estofado made by her. Never did I realize that it can be done in 4 easy steps and on a working night.

Ingredients:
500 g. of mix of pork liempo and pork shoulder cut into small cubes (you can only 1 pork part as you prefer)
1/2 cup of water
1 clove of garlic
medium size onion
medium size carrot sliced into cubes
5 pieces of plaintain  = "saging na saba"  (more if you want) cut into halves
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp vinegar (or apple cider)
1/4 cup brown sugar (or white sugar)
ground pepper
salt to taste

Step 1:  Saute garlic, onion and pork.  when pork turns brownish, put the water to boil. Simmer it for 30-45 min or until the pork is tender.  Add water if needed. Do not let it drain and run out of water.

Step 2: Once the pork is tender, put the soy sauce and let simmer for 2 minutes.  After, put the carrots and let it simmer.  

Step 3: Once the carrots are soft. put the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and let it simmer for 1 minute. Then put the plaintain and simmer it for another minute.

Step 4: Taste it, if you prefer to be more sweet, add more sugar. If you prefer a little bit salty, add more salt.

How was your experience cooking Estofado? Let me know by leaving a comment below.

Follow me on IG and Twitter: @alynn217





No comments: